Old 22-01-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior[_2_] FragileWarrior[_2_] is offline

Default The secret to making Christmas Cactus bloom

Johnny Borborigmi wrote in
:

On 2008-01-21 19:38:54 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

I finally figured out what the trigger is thanks to a cutting on a
window sill. It's the cold. Not light. Not fertilizer. COLD.

My little cutting bloomed on a cold window sill while my big plant
(30 years old) was being carefully lighted for only 8 hours a day,
plunged into absolute darkness as well as being carefully NOT
watered, all without a single bud in sight.

I dragged the big plant to the cellar -- and, believe me, that took
some work -- and put it on a cold windowsill for three weeks and
BINGO! Buds.

I leave mine out into the fall for that very reason, the cool temps
initiate buds. Never fails. Fertilizer is important though during the
growing season as it is for any plant.

I usually leave this one outside in the fall, too. If it's sheltered
(ie: under a tree) I even leave it out when there might be a light frost.
It just hasn't bloomed for the last two years, though. However, the year
before that, the year I had it in an annex in the cabin that was only
heated with a wood stove, it bloomed for four solid months in a show that
was out of this world. Maybe it tuckered itself out.