Old 23-01-2008, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Alder as a seed crop

In article ,
says...

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| The yield of a tree is
| clearly going to be less than the yield of a grass, because a tree puts
| a lot of energy and biomass into the wood.

That is not true. Annuals have to rebuild the entirety of their biomass
every year, and woody plants don't. The biomass of the wood can be
mortgaged over centuries, and has a certain value in itself.

| So unless you get a premium
| price, you aren't going to earn enough money per acre. Especially with
| the higher cost of harvesting from a tree.

The majority of the uplands of the UK will not support the high-margin
crops, so you earn NO money by growing them there. And the cost is not
necessarily high.

| PFAF says Alnus glutinosa is a potential wood-fuel crop in suitable
| conditions, but gives it an edibility rating of 0. It says Alnus incana
| is a suitable wood-working crop (but what price does it get in
| comparison to, say, ash or beech or oak or birch?) and has an edibility
| rating of 0.

You can grow fungi on it and eat them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The thing that struck me (knowing nothing about Alder seeds and their
edibility) was what rotten fire wood Alder makes!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk