Old 23-01-2008, 01:35 PM
chun chun is offline
Registered User

Default Is this pond alright?

Hi,

Pretty new to all this so i've been looking at quite a lot of books and sites before and after making my pond, and they all seem to give different answers to the questions i've been asking. For example, some say you need 20 bunches of oxygenators, others say just 2 or 3 with a couple of plants. Some say you need this much water for this much fish...other's give half of that...or you need a filter...etc etc.

Anyway, to cut things short, i've just decided to ask if you think that this pond would survive =P.

It's not too big, 1.5m by 1m and an average depth of ~40cm (50cm at deepest with 25cm marginal shelf).
In it, there a 4 marginals, 3 oxygenators and one waterlily. There's also 4 comet goldfish (around 8cm) and a small fountain pump that's just pumping water upwards.

I live in melbourne, australia. I guess you would call it temperate. The summers average in the low to mid 30's with the occasional low 40 (in °C). The winter is pretty mild, you get frost and i've known pools to ice over, but by late morning it would've all melted. Lowest i can remember is 2°C, never below zero. Pond gets about 5 to 7 hrs sun depending on the part of the pond. Unfortunately the lily is the 5 hr side due to an unforseen problem in digging (the builder's dumping pit is not fun to dig through T_T).

I'll be really glad for any help you guys can give me. Thanks!