Old 24-01-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Planting star anise seeds

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:16:09 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:02:06 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"theChas." wrote in message
I thought I was buying star anise blossoms and I got the seeds instead.
$6.60 for 6 seeds all the way from Greece. Can one grow these indoors?

I have never grown it so I am not speaking from experience. It comes from
south east asia and likes warm and humid conditions and bright light. So I am
thinking not much chance as indoors would be too cool, dry and dark, unless
you live in a sweat bath and shoot your own movies :-)

David

I easily grow ginger, galangal, turmeric, etc, by summering them in a
shaded area outdoors and putting them in a southern exposure in the
kitchen in the winter.

Never tried star anise, but now I must...

Boron

Ahh...I see it is from China, although now grown elsewhere
(cultivated, not wild) an evergreen, and distantly related to
magnolia.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Illi_ver.html

Boron