Old 24-01-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default Capsicum as skin treatment

In article ,
says...
On 24/1/08 14:53, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I don't know what this cream is, Steve except that it's on prescription.
| It's for shingles (not mine!) that don't have a rash but even then, I think
| it must be quite diluted by the other ingredients.

Well, yes. The principle is to stimulate the nerves more-or-less
continuously, so the body suppresses the itching or pain. It can
help, and does less damage than scratching.

A neurologist might explain the process in more detail, but that
is most of what I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Interesting. It sounds almost homeopathic! I know there are tablets which
can be taken but I'd never heard of a cream before. I thought most soothing
creams contain Calendula, so I was interested to hear of Capsicum being used
just because it is so astringent.

It's nothing like homoeopathic! It contains a chemical, capsaicin, which
stops the nerves sending the pain signals back to the brain.
--
Linz
Wet Yorks