Old 24-01-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

Stumpy wrote:

If I wanted to add 5ppm ammonia. How many mls, oz, or maybe drops would I
add of 10% ammonium hydroxide to a 5 gallon tank?

Sorry, I dont know the answer as I've never tried this myself although
have known/read about many people who have done so. This article gives
you some background reading as to how to do it:-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=113

I think the articles that NetMax is referring to were by a Dr Chris Cow
- might be possible to find them using google.

Other options open to you might be using a product such as BioSpira or
Bactinettes - again I've not tried them myself but have heard good
reports. Or if you know anyone with a fish tank "borrow" some mature
filter medium from them to speed up the cycle in your tank.

How big is your tank? The above seems to suggest it is 5 gall. If this
is the case then you should seriously reconsider using it to house a
goldfish. Contrary to popular myths, goldfish need a much larger home to
live and grow to their full potential. They are also "messy" fish so in
a tank that small you will forever be fighting water chemistry issues. A
5 gall tank, with an added heater, can make a very attractive home for
smaller tropicals - neon tetras, cherry barbs, a betta spring instantly
to mind - mainly as I have kept all 3 in tanks of this size.

HTH

Gill