Old 25-01-2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Stumpy Stumpy is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

In regards to growth inhibition of specific bacteria under high
ammonia levels (producing a never-ending nitrite spike), I can't say
that I'm an advocate of that idea, but the discusssions have come up
in RAFM, AA and now TFA on the topic. I think Frank was more vocal
pulling out references (if you wanted to search on the subject by
author), and like myself, thinking that there's really nothing wrong
with the old method of using a single ammonia load, provided it's not
taken to an extreme. If you search on fishless cycling, you come up
with many references to the original and revised recipe, but it's hard
to separate science from anecdotes, so I'll only point you to one site
which I've always found very credible.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...fishless.shtml

I like the suggestion about "natural ammonia".

Price is right.

Maybe I'll pull out a stepstool and a tablespoon after the rest of the
household is asleep.