Old 25-01-2008, 12:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default effects of your flood on drought areas

"George.com" wrote in message
With the widespread flooding along your east coast, are you seeing signs of
the water flowing down into some of the drought ravaged areas? River systems
starting to come alive, dams filling, springs bursting back to life?

rob

Yes, there have been good falls of rain in some areas over the last two months
or so which are now starting to look really good. The most recent falls
causing flooding in QLD will produce benefits in a while. Some land has to
emerge before crops will grow!

I expect there will be some inflow to the Murray-Darling but probably not
enough unless the rain continues and moves west. While (for example) a year
ago NSW was over 90% in drought it is now about 50% but the far west is still
very dry. There are still parts that have been drought declared for seven
years. This may sound like biblical stuff but the last el nino was the worst
in 100 years. The present la nina will need to continue and intensify to get
to those areas.

Some of the climate models suggest that if global warming isn't curbed eastern
Oz will go into a permanent el nino. So instead of a land of droughts and
flooding rains it will just be drought. Let's hope the USA sees the light on
the departure of Bush and the rest of the world ex-digitates too.

Although my vege garden is suffering from fungus and rust (sigh), I have 10
horses on 8 acres and they are knee deep in grass and fat. Looking around I
feel very fortunate.

David