Old 25-01-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

On 25/1/08 11:14, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 23:26, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article
, "Peter Robinson"
wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the
flowers we enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous
unless eaten in a particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

;-) They're called sweet peas because they smell sweet and the pods
bear a resemblance to edible peas, Pisum. Would you eat lupin pods,
for example? I do hope not!

See "Cultivation and uses" in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin ;-)

Lupinus is like Lathyrus - some species are edible (with care), others
are toxic. The usual garden lupin (Lupinus polyphyllus) is poisonous;
I'd guess that they same holds for the tree lupin.

Well, I'm not going to be the one who's going to find out! Laburnum stew,
anyone?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk