Old 25-01-2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Germinating squash seed question

yes, you can do that too.
we have keeper pumpkins. i store them in the basement root
cellar & any left when the garden soil warms up just get
deposited into the pumpkins area of the garden. the seeds from
the ones we ate get planted out there a bit more neatly, well,
the ones i don't eat anyway.
you can dry the seeds of gourds or squash/pumpkins, or just
plant them fresh. as long as the fruit they came from was ripe
& your soil is good (& warm enough), they should grow &
produce something. might not resemble what the seed came from,
a particularly noticable thing in gourds
BTW, one of my deposited pumpkins last summer produced two
very distinctly different types of plants. one set had rounded
leaves & small white pumpkins & the other had pointier leaf
edges & large day-glo yellow pumpkins. both types are tasty &
not too watery, but i don't know what they are crosses of. i
had planted 6 types the year before...
lee

Tnx, that is what I needed to know. My acorn squash crosses grew 6-8
different oddball varieties last year. This year I'm going to grow a bunch
of these just to see what I get. I'm also growing some purchased seeds to
ensure that I actually get something edible, just in case. Mama likes yellow
crookneck, I like scallop, everyone loves zuccinni. I don't want to end up
with 10 different shapes and sizes of blue hubbard that no one really likes
:-)