Old 26-01-2008, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cori Cori is offline

Default English Ivy, training to grow on Smooth Vinyl Fence

On Jan 25, 10:31*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Why not heavy coarse (hemp) string (vertically for climbing and
horizontally for tying)?
--

Billy

One, attaching string to the ground might be easy enough, but I can't
think of any way to attach string along or across the top without
damaging the fence or nearby bushes and trees...I don't want to attach
foreign objects directly to the fence, let alone tie anything between
trees. Maybe with something removable, like REALLY STRONG suction
cups if those exist, but nothing like screws, hooks, or (shudder) duct
tape. Two, string would look ratty before the vines got high enough
to cover it, then it would rot and fall apart. "Word to the wise," of
course, is to plant ivy in a planter, not in the ground, to keep it
from spreading all over including under the fence, but I'd actually
rather hassle with removing stray creepers from the ground and
attaching them to the fence from time to time than to hassle with
planters, trellises, or any additional objects.

Cori

*Cori wrote:
Training English ivy should be possible, even on a smooth vinyl fence,
since it clings to nearly any surface. *To tell the truth, I don't
want the trouble of placing a trellis or anything else next to the
fence--it would be one more thing to contend with, the ivy will end up
all over the fence anyway, and my main object is to cover the fence,
which looks starkly plastic in the winter. *My question is, how can I
best attach the ivy to the fence until such time as it begins to
attach itself? *Can anyone recommend a type of tape designed for this
and a place in the United States from which to buy it? *All I can find
Googling "gardening tape" and "plant tape" seem to be places in Asia,
and Home Depot and Gardeners' Supply seem never to have heard of such
a product. *They sell Velcro plant tape, but I don't see how I'd
attach that to the fence. *I need something adhesive which is
removable, biodegradable, or both. *I'd rather there be no damage to
the fence except the necessary damage caused by the ivy roots. *Thanks
for any assistance.

Cori