Old 26-01-2008, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Germinating squash seed question

Zootal said:

Tnx, that is what I needed to know. My acorn squash crosses grew 6-8
different oddball varieties last year. This year I'm going to grow a bunch
of these just to see what I get. I'm also growing some purchased seeds to
ensure that I actually get something edible, just in case. Mama likes yellow
crookneck, I like scallop, everyone loves zuccinni. I don't want to end up
with 10 different shapes and sizes of blue hubbard that no one really likes
:-)

Never going to get a Hubbard out of a summer squash/acorn mish-mash.
Two different species involved (C. pepo vs C. maxima).

Now, you could end up with a hard-shelled, nasty bitter thing if one of
your neighbor's was growing the right (wrong) type of gourds. One
bite of one of those will cure you of seed-saving unknown crosses.
(Years later, I can still remember... *shudder* ...)

Cross pollination in cucurbits (probably too much information):
http://preview.tinyurl.com/28hlcl

this links to
http://www.co.allen.in.us/images/stories/Purdue%
20CES/Horticulture/ACH31.pdf