Old 26-01-2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:19:11 CST, "Stumpy" wrote:

Maybe there is a dwarf goldfish?

At the risk of getting a negative reaction, I reply..... ;-)

If you know someone with baby fantail goldfish, you could put 2 tiny ones
in a 5 gallon. Plant the tank with live plants, Then feed only 1 flake of
food each/day, with a partial water change only twice/month.

I've fool around doing this in the past, as I've had tons of baby fantails
at times. I did mine in a 2 gallon tank. They stayed small, but eventually
I didn't have time for my little tank experiments, put them in regular size
tanks and they grew normal. Never saw deformities or stunting... other than
I slowed them down at the beginning.

In fact, I have found, if I grow my goldfish slow via food control (not
water quality or space) they keep their color much better than a fish that
is fed a lot and allowed to grow quickly. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us