Old 26-01-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one)

adavisus wrote:
ahah, someone mentioned herons, this can summon 'the heron file'
compiled from various ponders experience, over the years....

A lot of very interesting ideas in here.....thanks for posting.....I
guess that the best bet is a combination of whatever suits your
environment and that is all we can do......with certain solutions there
are definitely inherent dangers to other creatures which most of us
would shy away from and also certain legalities and also squeamishness
involved with adopting others.....afterall herons have a right to exist
as well and personally I find them magnificent birds......don't want
them to eat my fish but don't think I have a right to demand their
destruction because they pick on an easy feeding option - same goes for
Kingfishers - beautiful, stunning birds.....

I don't know how my new pond will cope with the resident heron but all I
can say is netting is not an option so the most I can do is a natural
cover solution......

You missed out water sprays, pets (such as dogs and cats) acting as a
deterant.....my dog won't even allow pigeons in the garden without
kicking up merry hell......and we get a lot of wood pigeons over the
back in the wooded area.....not seen him take on one of the resident red
kites yet.....but as they can take prey as big as lambs I would prefer
him not to......

Gill