Old 27-01-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

David in Normandy wrote:

Ah the joys of a wood burning stove. No fuss or mess with a
gas boiler. Just set the thermostat and job done. No
messing about stacking logs, bringing them in everyday and
stacking them next to the stove, then the ongoing task of
starting the fire, topping it up and emptying ashes. That
said, watching the real fire often beats watching
television. Something satisfying about watching the flames
licking around the wood and consuming it. The occasional
highlight too when the wood bangs, spits or sparks.

Some questions for you and/or Rod, since you both use only wood. Can you
tell me how much wood you use in a year --preferably not in cords, since
I've no idea what a cord is. How many logs of what size per day, for
example, and how many days per year? Or a figure in hundredweights. Does
your stove run any radiators (I assume it heats water)? Can you pack the
stove and let it burn slowly for a long period, or is it a case of
feeding a log at a time?

The main reasons for asking are that I'm wondering about going over to
wood as the base fuel for heating, (some)cooking, and hot water, and
wondering about the feasibility, economic and otherwise.

Does anyone know what area of coppiced woodland it would take to be fuel
self-sufficient?

Brian Mitchell