Old 27-01-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one)

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:52:11 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

Kingfishers - beautiful, stunning birds.....

If Kingfishers are a problem in your area, prior to putting fish in get a
few little orange (plastic) fish called heron scarers:

I still have the two I bought in Atlanta. It did nothing to discourage them.
The rubber fish was apparently pulled from their grasp (found one on the
lawn twice) and they simply came back and got another fish - a real one the
next time.

Okay, you better-googlers-than-I help me find what use to be called The
Heron Scarer. It is a skinny orange fish about 5" long that sold for
around
$3, so getting several was no hardship for most.

I kept a school in my lily pond prior to the fish going out and I can only
assume that has kept the fish kingfisher free. ~ jan

We apparently have smarter Kingfisher in TN. They soon learn the difference
between a rubber fish and a real one just as crows learn the difference
between a real human and a realistic scarecrow - even when the scarecrow is
moved around the garden.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.