Old 28-01-2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Strong urine odor

"paghat" wrote in message

A recent study showed that human urine was a better fertilizer than
commercial fertilizers. Made me picture a house with thundermugs by the
toilet so that good fertilizer won't be wasted by flushing it away.
Picture spraying **** all over the lawn from one end to the other which
couldn't be much more gross than liquid fish fertilizer but still the
thought of it...

When the pastures are treated with chicken litter 'round here if the wind is
coming from the wrong way you cannot breathe. It's not unpleasant, it
produces retching and gagging in the strongest stomache. But it sure does
make the grass grow.

Isn't it odd how we have evolved this reaction to things that really are not
so harmful. Unless the author has a urinary tract infection urine is sterile.
Yet we have this built-in revulsion.

I can understand the revulsion with using human feces as fertiliser, healthy
individuals still dump a lot of gut flora which has no place in the
environment where it can get into other parts of the body. In parts of the
world where untreated night soil is routinely returned to the fields it is a
perennial source of reinfection. Urine has no such consequences but we act as
if it does.

David