Old 27-01-2008, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

In article ,
"williams" writes:

| A cord, in Michigan, is 4'x4'x8', cut and stacked. However, since stoves
| and grates are always smaller than 4' wide, wood is usually cut to lengths
| of 16" to 18" or so. We call these "face cords", and they measure
| 4'x8'x16"-18". Here, the term "cord" refers to the "face cord". My Hardy
| Outdoor Wood Furnace takes a log 16" in diameter, 31" long, much to large
| and heavy to load into the furnace safely.

Interesting.

| ... I don't even cover my very large wood pile. The sun
| and wind dry it even through rains and snows.

Fine for you - not much good here :-( Our problem isn't that we get
a lot of rain (though some parts do), but that the evaporation is
minimal (about 11" a year in the south, almost all in summer).

| Willow is junk. Don't burn any conifer, anything that stays green all
| winter, as they are full of pitch and you'll have a chimney fire.

I agree about willow and conifers! Holly is evergreen, and burns well,
however. So is and does holme oak (but it is the very devil to split,
wet or dry).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.