Old 27-01-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default Stocking the new pond

"Hal" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:52:07 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Hal! So sorry about your loss, did it get them all?

No, I think I interrupted breakfast, but he got about half of them.
Can't be sure about exact numbers since several were new, a gift from
a friend and I hadn't gotten to know them well. It seems the heron
liked the brighter colors first and the bigger goldfish are missing.

===============================
You will come to find the brightest and prettiest fish, and usually the most
expensive fish, are the first to be taken. :*( We tried everything but the
motion sprayers before netting our ponds. We would need too many sprayers
to cover our ponds and if a hose split, the water bill would be enormous.
We're not on a well of our own. Also, I remember someone had an URL to a pic
of a heron that learned to fish without setting off the motion sprayer.
Herons, like crows, are not stupid birds.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.