Old 28-01-2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Stocking the new pond

~ jan wrote:

Hmmm, just like most people go for the bigger & brighter. Dang birds.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

It would be interesting to know if herons can see in colour.....a lot of
animals can't but some can - actually some fish spring to mind......my
thought without researching is that colour is not a particular issue to
your usual native heron.....the mainstay of their diet will be
brown/grey fish from rivers and lakes......but then it would still be
interesting to know if this is a factor or not....

Bigger.....I can get.....doesn't matter about the colour of the fish
then.....bigger fish will move just that tad slower than smaller ones.....

Anyway, right now I don't know if the heron will be a problem even if I
fear the worst......maybe some experimental decoy fish might be useful
in determining this......if he attemps the decoys even just once then I
know I'm in for a problem.....

Gill