Old 28-01-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default I just can't design gardens - can you help?

On 28 Jan, 12:06, wrote:
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

Ha! A prospective client dream ....

You need to explore so many things - dimensions, exsisting large trees/
shrubs, soil ph, orientation, materials etc. There's lots of books
which could guide you (I don't have them at hand so I'll have to post
them to you again later this evening - but costly).

Alternatively, you could take a 1 day or 3 days class with KLC in
Chelsea London. They are brilliant. I've been to a few now as I'm
doing a Dip in Garden Design and they're really good.
http://www.klc.co.uk/Part-Time/default.asp The introduction to garden
design is very well thought off and that would be perfect for you -
I've attended it and it decided me into doing a Dip. However they were
lots of people attending interested in making their own garden up
only. The beauty of this is that you can share your ideas, ask
questions with instants answers, and go through a well thought off
process for doing your garden. It is not rigid on making you a great
designer, certainly not in 1 or 3 days ... but it will turn your
thoughts in order and you'll action them to your benefit without
wasting time and money.

Then you can come to us and ask questions - or alternatively, we could
all do it if you give us all the details I mentioned above. HTH