Old 28-01-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

On 2008-01-28, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A ton of coal or wood is probably not far off 1000 liters of
heating oil in terms of heat output. I can easily get through that
in 6 weeks here if the weather is ultra cold.
Jesus, do you live in Siberia and have a prediliction for sauna-like
temperatures? 1000 litres of oil lasts us nearly a year.

BIG house.

Ditto. 5 bed detached in exposed site.

yeah..we are I guess about 6 bed here, or if divvied up into 'modern'
sized rooms, a small hostel!

On top of the hill and with nothing for miles.

Hills? East Anglia?

I didn't say mountains!

We are almost - gasp - 200 meters above sea level..or is it 200 feet?

Probably 200 ft.

Norfolk and Suffolk are not fen. They start where the fens end, just about.

They are gently rolling terminal moraines from the ice sheet, covered in
sand and clay over a chalk substrate.

The native tribes do not have webbed feet, and undertsand what a tree is.