Old 28-01-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

On 28/1/08 13:35, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 28 Jan 2008 11:33:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

Jesus, do you live in Siberia and have a prediliction for sauna-like
temperatures? 1000 litres of oil lasts us nearly a year.

I think he lives, like us, in an old solid stone house. Admitedly we are
exposed and at 1,400'. We used to get through about 4,000l year. It's
lower now maybe 3,500 or even a bit less since the really drafty windows
were replace with double glazing. Daytime temp is 18.5C on the stat going
up to 20 for the evening, heating is off over night.

We get buffeted by winds, though temperatures don't fall horribly low
over-winter, usually! But this house is Victorian and every interior wall
is solid, keeping the house very warm. The windows, OTOH, are those diamond
paned jobs and are not remotely well insulated. We can't use double glazing
and it would anyway look hideous. But interlined curtains and those nice
solid walls keep us very snug.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk