Old 28-01-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Stocking the new pond

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:05:37 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

It would be interesting to know if herons can see in colour.....a lot of
animals can't but some can - actually some fish spring to mind......my
thought without researching is that colour is not a particular issue to
your usual native heron.....the mainstay of their diet will be
brown/grey fish from rivers and lakes......but then it would still be
interesting to know if this is a factor or not....

I don't know if the birds see in color, but a color blind person sees
light and dark shades and I assume the heron does too, unless it sees
the color. The goldfish would appear lighter/brighter than the fish
that appear black on a black liner. Anyway this one ate big bright
colored fish and left two smaller gold and 4 dark colored ones when I
interrupted.

(Way off topic) My sister Avel was visually impaired as well as color
blind and couldn't see the time when she woke during the night on a 2"
red LED clock. I found one with the blue/green LED in a 2" and she
could see that well enough to know what hour it was when she woke.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb