Old 28-01-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default CarolineC

"CarolineC" wrote

I have a lemon tree in my garden in South Africa. The leaves have what
looks like a black fungus and also white sticky "cotton" looking
nasties. All this is under the leaves. Can anyone help and tell me
what to do please?

All Citrus trees are susceptible to Scale Insect which excrete "Honeydew"
loved by ants and on which Sooty Moulds flourish. The white woolly bits on
the leaves and stems are the Scale Insects in breeding phase. If it's not
too big a tree and you don't like chemicals you can spray them off with a
sprayer filled with water with a few drops of washing up liquid. Pump it
right up so it's a powerful jet and start at the top and do every leaf and
stem.
If it's a big tree and/or you don't mind chemicals then go see your local
Garden Centre for something that works on Scale.
They will come back, they always do on Citrus, so it's not a once only job.

This is a UK Newsgroup but don't let that put you off. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden