Old 28-01-2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Stocking the new pond

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:05:37 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

It would be interesting to know if herons can see in colour.....

All day active birds supposedly recognize color, whereas night birds are
most likely color blind. That's why the male has such pretty feathers, to
attract females, and bugs have defensively color patterns. "Ewww, the
yellow ones taste icky!" So yea, bright fish are pretty much goners.

Anyway, right now I don't know if the heron will be a problem even if I
fear the worst......maybe some experimental decoy fish might be useful
in determining this......if he attemps the decoys even just once then I
know I'm in for a problem.....
Gill

Actually they go for the decoy and realize this pond has no tasty fish. It
will be hard to tell if one comes, as you anchor the decoy they don't carry
it off. The idea being it is ripped from their beaks. I always imagined
what fun it would be to have a decoy on a bungee cord. ;-) As one of our MG
teachers use to say, "Birds learn" if you teach them that your pond is full
of plastic fish before you get real fish, they're less likely to visit
again, at least that is my hope! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us