Old 29-01-2008, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dale P Dale P is offline

Default English Ivy, training to grow on Smooth Vinyl Fence

3M command adhesive comes in small hooks that could be used to support the
twine. Much more reliable than suction cups and probably even cheaper. The
hooks are reusable with a new adhesive pad, so they could be moved up the
fence as the ivy takes over, to prevent the twine being so visible. Yet, I
think that ivy over the vinyl fence is not going to work well for you, it is
worth a try. The vinyl fences I have seen are very smooth and slick. I
just don't know if ivy will cling to it well enough to stay. But, I do
agree that the vinyl fences are stark looking without something over them.

You might look into Manhattan euonymus. It is evergreen in most climates
and "climbs" up the fence or wall by leaning into it rather that attaching
with suckers.

Good Luck.

"Cori" wrote in message
Training English ivy should be possible, even on a smooth vinyl fence,
since it clings to nearly any surface. To tell the truth, I don't
want the trouble of placing a trellis or anything else next to the
fence--it would be one more thing to contend with, the ivy will end up
all over the fence anyway, and my main object is to cover the fence,
which looks starkly plastic in the winter. My question is, how can I
best attach the ivy to the fence until such time as it begins to
attach itself? Can anyone recommend a type of tape designed for this
and a place in the United States from which to buy it? All I can find
Googling "gardening tape" and "plant tape" seem to be places in Asia,
and Home Depot and Gardeners' Supply seem never to have heard of such
a product. They sell Velcro plant tape, but I don't see how I'd
attach that to the fence. I need something adhesive which is
removable, biodegradable, or both. I'd rather there be no damage to
the fence except the necessary damage caused by the ivy roots. Thanks
for any assistance.

Cori