Old 29-01-2008, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

Sacha wrote:
On 28/1/08 18:41, in article , "Tim
Lamb" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
We get buffeted by winds, though temperatures don't fall horribly low
over-winter, usually! But this house is Victorian and every interior wall
is solid, keeping the house very warm. The windows, OTOH, are those diamond
paned jobs and are not remotely well insulated. We can't use double glazing
and it would anyway look hideous. But interlined curtains and those nice
solid walls keep us very snug.

Why ever not?

We have simulated diamond double glazing in conventional timber frames.

Stone mullion windows, Grade II Listed building - think Victorian gothic.
We're having problems figuring out ways to put fly screens at the windows
and think they'll have to be magnetic to fit the iron frames. In summer,
I'd give my eye teeth for quarter lights in the windows, all of which are
casement! The downstairs windows are quite large, as are some of the
upstairs ones. Double glazing would have to be fixed into the wood beside
the mullions and would look appalling. On the downstairs windows there are
interior, folding shutters which would look awful and be ruined if we tried
to fit double glazing. However, we would not be allowed to fit it and would
probably be in trouble if the house police happened to check it out.

The loss through a few small SG windows is not great. I've got these
windows fitted to wooden frames..they were allowed on a new build..as
everywhere else was insulated to the nines.