Old 29-01-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Which weed is this

wrote:
On 28 Jan, 15:05, Des Higgins wrote:
Aaaargh; be
careful.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....nculus+ficaria
says:
Lesser celandine has been used for thousands of years in the
treatment
of haemorrhoids and ulcers[254]. It is not recommended for internal
use because it contains several toxic components[254]

And it also says ...
Young leaves in spring - raw or cooked as a potherb[2, 74, 105, 183].
The first leaves in spring make an excellent salad[9]. The leaves,
stalks and buds can be used like spinach[9], whilst the blanched stems
are also eaten[46, 183]. The leaves turn poisonous as the fruit
matures[74]. Caution is advised regarding the use of this plant for
food, see the notes above on toxicity. Bulbils - cooked and used as a
vegetable[9, 105]. The bulbils are formed at the leaf axils and also
at the roots[9, 183]. Caution is advised, see the notes above on
toxicity. The flower buds make a good substitute for capers.

So to recap, Robert needs to explain to the animals to eat the leaves
before the fruit matures. I'm confused Des ... Says we can eat raw or
cooked young leaves but then 'caution is advised regarding the use of
this plant as food'. Also I'm not sure if animals get haemorrhoids.

As it's Ranunculaceae, I'd avoid it. Can't think offhand of any of that
family which are edible, but may need to think a bit deeper.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)