Old 29-01-2008, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Eucalyptus tree

On 29 Jan, 15:02, wrote:
This is my first time posting here, but I'm hoping you can give me
some advice.
I read this previous thread with interest: *http://tinyurl.com/2cuh86.
I'm afraid I have no idea what species my eucalyptus is: it was here
when we bought the house. *I'm in Cambridgeshire.
My tree is quite close to my house (~4m), but actually closer to my
neighbour's. *I'd estimate it to be around 4-5m tall and it seems like
around a metre of this growth has been in the last year (but do
correct me if that sounds wildly inaccurate).
I'd like to know whether I ought to get someone out to lop it or
remove it altogether or whether it's safe to leave it (I really like
it). *I've been rather scared by the idea it could grow extremely
tall, but also confused by the number of species and effect of
climate. *Also, if I need to get it seen to - are there any rough
ideas as to the cost?
I should add that my gardening knowledge is virtually non-existant.

Can you describe the leaves - are they round or long, do they turn red
in the autumn and do you get little pompom white flowers in the spring
and finally is the bark dark or does it peel off at places.

Our eucalyptus fell during a gale in 2006 and we had to chop it down.
It costed us approx £200 from a tree surgeon in Manchester. It had
passed well over the roof of our house (and the neighbour's one) and
the wind catched it then and there and fell it onto my neighbour's
wall, takin gutters and tv arial down with it. It just stayed there,
leaning on its side. It was very scary and I was very upset to see it
go. It was planted at about 3m from our back door, very close indeed
to our house.