Old 29-01-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one)

"~ jan" wrote in message
You can't know what to prevent until it shows up at your pond. I had
never
seen Kingfishers here until the ponds were put in. RM

People can if they do a little research in their area before putting fish
in... assuming they'll take the advice.

Today that may be possible, back in 1995 when I put my first two ponds in I
didn't have a computer and few people around me here had ponds. I was the
first on this road to put one in. All I had was a two books that made light
of fish predation.

I didn't know either bird would
come into a backyard pond either, until I was informed by the pond club I
joined before I even finished the pond.

That's great. The nearest pond club I later found out about was in
Nashville. We were members for a brief time after losing endless numbers of
koi and Shubunkins. Others were netting their ponds with excellent results.
So after the sulfur and the fish-line and the fake fish, etc. etc. etc.
didn't prevent the losses, we bought nets. They were the last choice but
work 100%. They also keep out the neighborhood dogs, raccoons and whatever
else was out there in the night picking off my koi and GF. You're very
fortunate to only have herons and Kingfishers. Many of us also have snapper
turtles, water snakes, huge bullfrogs and other predators.

I'm sorry only nets work for you, Carol, but I don't see the need to keep
knocking what others have found success with that doesn't involve a net.

I'm not knocking it Jan. But some of the posts here make those motion
sprayers and fake fish sound like they'll work as well as or better than
nets - and that just isn't true. I don't want people to think they're fish
are safe because they installed a MS and a few rubber fish.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.