Old 30-01-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 1940's Garden

In article ,
writes:
| On 29 Jan, 22:26, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| Where I was then, it was apples that were exotic :-)
| Ipomoea alba, a.k.a. Calonyction bona-nox, a.k.a. Ipomoea bona-nox.
| An excellent annual to grow in a conservatory or even south facing
| room.
|
| Can I risk it and say Morning Glory? ;o)

You can, but it is very different to the common one. Large, white,
opens at night, and strongly and sweetly scented.

| A lovely man who
| gave me my nickname and I have found memories of his mechoui! Anyway -
| I'm growing the Gloriosa in memory of a friend from Zimbabwe, which
| reminds me, there's no sign of life from the plant yet, though it
| flowered beautifully last year (I got it at the RHS Harrogate), and it
| produced a fat pod which opened and revealed jewel like seeds. When
| the plant died, around October, I pruned it to the base. Now would you
| have any advice? Should I just sit tight and watch?

You can sow the seeds, but it will probably regrow from its tuber
when the weather warms up. Keep it pretty dry until then. Both
the tuber and seeds need very well-drained soil, warm and sunny
conditions when growing, but don't mind down to almost freezing
when dormant and dry.

I grew it (from seed) for some years, but it got a root rot of some
sort and effectively died.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.