Old 30-01-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
[email protected] treehugger@saharadesert.com is offline

Default 1940's Garden

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:45:35 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/1/08 21:38, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know
| what you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any
| recipe from the 1940's

Bananas, okra, yam, chillis, soursop, sweet potatoes, moonflower etc.

Groundnut stew - or, for even more authenticity, palm oil stew.
The former needs a team to make it properly, and isn't worth it
for less than a dozen people. Follow it by fried plantains.

I couldn't help thinking how absolutely typical of this chancer,
to get someone else to do the spadework for him. I suppose,
though, that it's progress - to get a tacit admission that he
doesn't know *everything*!

But you must admit that Nick's reply is a gem, even if it goes unrecognised!

My dad used to go out shooting crowes, and mum made crowe pie. They
were rather unpleasant as I recall, but there was a war on and we had
to make the best of it.