Old 30-01-2008, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Eucalyptus tree

judith.lea wrote:
On Jan 29, 4:03 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 29/1/08 15:56, in article
,

I read this previous thread with interest: http://tinyurl.com/2cuh86.
I'm afraid I have no idea what species my eucalyptus is: it was here
when we bought the house. I'm in Cambridgeshire.
My tree is quite close to my house (~4m), but actually closer to my
neighbour's. I'd estimate it to be around 4-5m tall and it seems like
around a metre of this growth has been in the last year (but do
correct me if that sounds wildly inaccurate).
I'd like to know whether I ought to get someone out to lop it or
remove it altogether or whether it's safe to leave it (I really like
it). I've been rather scared by the idea it could grow extremely
tall, but also confused by the number of species and effect of
climate. Also, if I need to get it seen to - are there any rough
ideas as to the cost?
I should add that my gardening knowledge is virtually non-existant.
Grateful for any hints.
Jo
Jo, it all depends on what type of Eucalyptus it is. I had Eucalyptus
Gunni about 3 metres from the house and it didn't create any
problems. Google Gunni and see if that is any help to you.
Judith

E. gunnii is certainly one of the most popular sold in UK. But this site
will be helpful to Jo, I think. http://www.macfoliage.co.uk/
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

My neighbour had a eucalyptus that grew at that sort of rate. It blew
down (fortunately the other way and without causing too much damage).
What do you loose by trying to coppice it ? ( cut down close to ground
level and allow thin shoots to regrow. Take these out every few years.)

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames