Old 31-01-2008, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Dry & getting drier

It has been 40 days apparently since we have had any meaningful (a couple of
mm a week or more ago) rain here. Usually things start to dry out in January
but it seems to have started 2-3 weeks early. We also get the odd downpour
in January. This year, nothing. The driest January apparently since records
started. Typical temperatures 24-27, occasionally maybe a little higher.
This year 27 has been normal & quite a days 31. Trees are dropping new
growth and I notice even my old established grape vine is starting to brown
at the ends. Maybe no grapes for autumn. Luckily we have a sodding big river
running through the centre of the city so we won't go dry although we will
be constrained by how much water the council is able to pump out. Watering
round my place has only been for the vege garden & even then by hand or
trickle hose to the roots.

rob