Old 31-01-2008, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Anyone recognise this

On 31/1/08 11:11, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
This plant was labelled with what I assume was a cultivar name - 'Gill
Lewis' - but didn't have any indication of what genus or species it
belonged to.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/GillLewis.jpg

Does anyone recognise it?

I am in agreement with Bob and Sacha achemines or streptocarpus a picture
of the whole plant would clinch it although I would favour achemines as I
feel you would have recognised a streptocarpus from its leaves. There are
no plants called Gill Lewis in the current plant finder so that is
probably the name of the person who raised it to sell it!

The other possibility I had considered was Streptosolen.

It was the inflorescence structure that led to it being recorded as
'Gill Lewis', rather than Steptocarpus? 'Gill Lewis'. (Regrettably the
photo is fairly old so I don't remember details of the leaves.)

If the little one can see of the leaf belongs to that plant, I don't think
it's Streptosolen but it is certainly difficult to tell clearly. I'll see
if I can get a clear pic of any of our Streptocarpus leaves and bits.

The details aren't unambiguously clear, but it appears to have a purely
tubular calyx (you can see one sheathing the floral tube of one flower)
and an involucre from which from the flowers spring - unless what I'm
interpreting as an involucre is a cluster of calyces. That doesn't seem
to match the common run of Streptocarpus, Achimenes or Streptosolen, but
you can get considerable variation in a genus. Googling for 'Gill Lewis'
for each of this genera gives no results - I had hoped that given a
genus name Google would confirm the existence of the plant. ("Gill
Lewis" alone gives 3000 hits - any needle would be well hidden in the
haystack.)

This might help:

Gill Lewis Landscapers And Garden Design in Haverfordwest
Tel: 01437*720065 - Tegfan Caerbwdy, Caerbwdy, St. Davids, Haverfordwest,
Dyfed, SA62 6QP

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk