Old 31-01-2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:23:53 CST, "Stumpy" wrote:

FISHLESS CYCLING OF TANKS
rather than getting the RIGHT kind of ammonia and getting the RIGHT amount
in the
tank, a pinch of Hikari Gold fish food for a small tank up to a tablespoon
in a 75
gallon can be tossed into the tank, the heat set to 82oF and plenty of
aeration. In
3 days or so watch the ammonia. If no ammonia is seen add more food.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/care/care.htm

I put in some goldfish pellets, raised the temp and 3 days later they are
covered in a white hairy cocoonlike cocoon. Looks like a fungus more than
normal decomposition. Is this OK?

My guess it is probably a water bound mold (if there is such a thing). I
doubt it is harmful. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us