Old 31-01-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default how do you...

ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.

Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog. I once saw a big buck
being chased by a beagle. OTOH deer are not stupid. I also observed a
herd of deer munching on acorns under a tree while dog chained in yard
next to them was barking his head off. The deer learn which dogs can
chase them and which are confined. You must have fooled the deer but I
suspect if there were no dogs in the area, the deer would not be fooled
by poop alone.