Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default how do you...

On Jan 31, 2:42�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my small
orchard. �Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I spread
their droppings around the trees, year 'round. �It solved my deer
problem. . . they stay away.

Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog.

That's not true. Deer would rather flee than confront but not
always. My neighbor had a tough border collie, Rocky, because he
loved to dig up rocks and leave them hidden for the lawnmower. 99pct
of the time Rocky would head full speed into a herd of deer and all
the deer would flee, but every so often one of the dominant does would
stop, turn, and glare at him. Poor Rocky, how embarrassing being
backed down by a doe, he'd turn tail and slowly retreat, wimpering
with head down, while that doe would stand tall, snorting and pounding
a hoof into the ground. Of course that never stopped Rocky from
chasing deer the next day. No dog wants to actually fight a deer... a
pack of dogs will take down a deer but one on one no single dog (or
unarmed man) stands a chance against a single deer... one whomp with
that hoof will slplit a skull like a ripe melon.