Old 31-01-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one)

"kathy" wrote in message
Along with the stated reasons not to use nets I
have a real concern with my two labradors. I think
netting my pond would be a real danger. They like to drink
out of the pond and the worry would be if one fell in or was
pushed in while playing. No fish is worth the lives of my
dogs. I also have concerns with birds and squirrels getting
caught in the nets.

I have had two small birds get caught in the net. Our nets are well pegged
down so no other animals have been caught. My dogs have no access to the
ponds because it's against the law to allow dogs to run loose here. They
also get hit by cars. If your dogs are outdoors when no one is home then
nets may not work for you. Your only problem would be snakes, frogs,
snappers and Kingfishers taking your fish - unless you live in a city.

Nets just don't work for all ponders. We have to offer other
alternatives. I don't have a problem with herons and kingfishers,
they visit from time to time, but I use the heron scarer, I have
fishy condos, tree cover, plant cover and dog patrols.

The dogs would be a good deterrent from herons. I've had locals tell me
this. ;-)

None
of my birdy visitors have cleaned out the pond. I put my bird
losses at about 4 fish max over ten years.

If that was all we lost I wouldn't have bothered with nets. We recently lost
all but one shubunkin to a GBH. He took about 10 GF in one setting.
Actually, there may have been two GBHs since these were good size fish.
They trashed the plants while they were at it.

Anyway that's the nice thing about newsgroups, we can offer
all sorts of different options for flummoxed ponders.

Exactly! :-)) If only 4 fish in even 5 years were lost that would be
tolerable. Before the nets we were often losing a fish a day or more. This
was heartbreaking and getting rather expensive.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.