Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default how do you...

Sheldon wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:48 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:42�pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet
wrote:
ctlady wrote:
I live in the country and used to have deer problems with my
small
orchard. �Now, I have 4 dogs and after poop scooping the yard I
spread their droppings around the trees, year 'round. �It solved
my deer problem. . . they stay away.
Deer are afraid of dogs and will run from any dog.

That's not true. Deer would rather flee than confront but not
always. My neighbor had a tough border collie, Rocky, because he
loved to dig up rocks and leave them hidden for the lawnmower.
99pct
of the time Rocky would head full speed into a herd of deer and
all
the deer would flee, but every so often one of the dominant does
would stop, turn, and glare at him. Poor Rocky, how embarrassing
being backed down by a doe, he'd turn tail and slowly retreat,
wimpering with head down, while that doe would stand tall,
snorting
and pounding a hoof into the ground. Of course that never stopped
Rocky from chasing deer the next day. No dog wants to actually
fight a deer... a pack of dogs will take down a deer but one on
one
no single dog (or unarmed man) stands a chance against a single
deer... one whomp with that hoof will slplit a skull like a ripe
melon.

Deer are faster than dogs but do not have the
stamina and dogs can bring them down in a long chase

You're kidding of course... then you've never seen deer run.
There're
good reasons deer hunters don't use dogs. I see deer run over long
distances every day. There is no way any dog is going to bring down
deer by chasing, especially not once a deer gets into the woods, and
deer accelerate from zero to 35 mph in under two seconds. Preditors
bring down deer by stealth, never by chasing. Packs of coyotes
bring
down sick deer but they can never catch healthy deer, and no single
coyote would dare go up against a deer, not even a sick one. A deer
under duress can leap ten feet into the air and on the way down in
mid
air will stomp a dog brainless. Deer are not nearly so meek as
portrayed by Disney, deer are extremely powerful beasts and if
cornered will fight ferociously. There is also good reson why
there's
a problem with an over abundance of deer, they are not so easily
taken
down by preditors. The white tailed deer has survived essentially
unchanged some three and a half million years, not because it's easy
prey... man is it's only serious enemy.

This ain't Bambi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate