Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Dry & getting drier

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day rob,

might be time to develop some good sustainable water management
procedures in and around your home. it always rains sometime and if
the tank isn't installed then you won't capture any water, each 1mm of
rain that falls onto a 100 ssq/mtr roof collection area is 1,000
litres of water. in from oz and we are going through a solid drought
now for over 10 years, had good rains of recent times but although
many are fooled that does not mean the end of the drought
unfortunately.

have taken some steps recently Len. I installed a couple of water butts off
the down pipe at the back of the garage. All I need is some rain to fill it
up. I have been collecting urea to use as a liquid fertiliser for the veges.
It still gets washed away, only down into the roots of some plants to give
me nice tasty veges. The lawn & garden (save for the edibles) hasn't been
watered. We have a sprinkler ban in place from this week so I have bodged up
some soaker hoses that deliver a trickle straight to the plant roots. I have
mulched for a while nowThe car ain't been washed in months. Water usage
inside keeps me, the mutts, cats & fish alive and hygenic. Some areas of NZ
have put in local laws requiring new houses to have rain water tanks and
grey water systems. I have recently had my walls insulated to the tune of
several thousand so that is the retrofitting budget gone for a while. It
will make my heating lower in winter. Glory be, we got about 2 mm of rain
last night. The drought has broken.

rob