Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default How big should a watermelon vine be before watermelons grow please ?

"c" wrote in message
How big should a watermelon vine be before watermelons grow please ?

I planted about 7 small plants a few months ago. The vines are about
2m long now. They flower but that is all they do. The leaves on the
vines are only about 3 inches long.

Is there a site where they have images on how big the vine gets to
give me an idea on how much growing the plant has to do before I get
watermelons growing please.

There is no set size, once it is big enough to flower a proportion of the
flowers should start to set fruit if the conditions are right. It sounds to me
like they are undersized for their age and also not setting fruit.

Re the fruit setting: can you see bees in the garden around the flowering
plants, not just the melons, on any fine day?

Re the undersized:
Are the vines in full sun in fairly fertile soil? How far apart?
Do they get sufficient water that they don't wilt, or only wilt briefly on hot
afternoons?
Are the leaves clean and green or do they have mildew?

David