Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Stainless steel forks

In article ,
"Therefore" writes:

| I intend buying a stainless garden fork for general purpose use. I have seen
| in B&Q a fork for £11.00 , this has square tines rather than the usual round
| tines.
|
| Is this type of fork good for heavy digging and also has it the strength of
| the round tines.

It depends on its construction, the quality of the metal, and the gauge
of the tines. Square tines are 18% stronger than round ones. Stainless
steel can be anything from excellent to dire, and light gauge tines will
bend or break no matter what they are made from. But, generally, total
failure more often occurs where the handle attaches to the tine unit,
or at the 'neck' just above the horizontal that connects the tines.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.