Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 PM posted to mn.politics,misc.consumers,rec.gardens,misc.invest.stocks,alt.home.repair
Shawn Hirn Shawn Hirn is offline

Default John McCain, liar and liberal punk

In article ,
PaPaPeng wrote:

I am not American so we live with whomever you elect as President.
But please do consider the message you are sending to Americans and to
the rest of the world by not voting. If the American President takes
office on a minority popular vote, of say 30 percent turnout of
eligible voters, then he or she does not have a mandate to do
anything. No mandate to change the direction America is on. No
credibility on the world stage that he or she has the support of the
people.

To vote is a very important civic duty.

I completely agree; however, nothing in the United States Constitution
requires that our president win by a mandate. We do not even select our
president by popular vote (despite what you may think). Our president is
selected by what is known as the Electoral College. Feel free to google
for it. The Electoral College takes its queues indirectly by the votes
we cast on election day, but it is entirely possible for someone to win
the presidency without getting a majority of the popular vote. This is
what happened with our current president's first term.