Old 02-02-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Scorched Oleanders

On 1/31/2008 7:38 PM, Walter R. wrote:
My large oleander bush was partially scorched during the October San Diego
Fires. Part of it is still green but 2/3 of it looks scorched, although not
burned.

What's the best way of dealing with this: Take it out (if it cannot be
expected to recover), trim it back to 4 feet to stimulate growth, or wait
and do nothing?

http://i26.tinypic.com/2zhfera.jpg

Oleanders are easily renewed with severe pruning. Wait until the
beginning of March. Then, cut to about 2 feet. With not much water
(they're drought tolerant), they can regrow to their full size within a
single year.

However, a blight is killing oleanders throughout southern California
and beyond. When I had a slope failure regraded, I wanted to replant
the oleanders that had been there before. I had tall white oleanders up
the sides and shorter hot pink across the top. Both the grading
contractor and the landscape contractor advised against it. The
landscape contractor indicated that I would have to replace them within
five years.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean