Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Mike Buckler

Default Root barrier - Biobarrier ?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:37:12 +1100, "alwynne mackie"
wrote:

You can certainly get ordinary root barrier material in various sizes and
thicknesses quite easily. But why do you want one that leaches a herbicide?
It will kill/inhibit anything that comes into contact with it - maybe things
that you want. And if it is on a boundary and kills your neighbour's plants,
you may have trouble on your hands.
I have used the normal sort to repel/contain such things as running bamboo
very successfully.

The roots are pushing against the fence rather than trying to go through it.
A case of too many roots and not enough space. The roots hit the fence just
below the soil surface then dive straight down 50cm, go under the fence and
disappear into the council owned park next door.

The roots vary in size from 2 cm to 10 cm in diameter. A concrete asbestos
fence backed by several tons of sand is no match for this tree. I need
something that will inhibit the growth of the roots once they have been cut
back.

Mike