Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Orchid problem

"Roots" wrote in message

Hi,
First post here.
I repotted my orchids two weeks ago with orchid compost which had been
outside. A few days later I noticed flies - lots of flies and killed as
many as I could. One of my orchids that I couldn't salvage was dying at
the time.
I could only put this down to flies laying eggs in the compost outside.
What I'm worried about is that my plants will be damaged.
I have just purchased some new compost and not sure if I should repot
them again so soon - but obviously don't want the flies to do any more
damage.
Should I soak them in water in a bucket and repot them tomorrow? Do you
think they could handle more handling? Do you think they will be
permanently damaged?

Very grateful for any advice

--
Roots

This link may be of help
http://www.firstrays.com/fungus_gnats.htm

is also a good source for all orchid culture.