Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Industrial Pig slaughter down side.

In article ,
Billy wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Malabar? Have you had it before? What was your opinion of
it. Is this culinary or medicinal? Calls for full Sun but you claim
shade as your invironment. You've got some explainin' to do boy;-)

Malabar is sort of like spinach that doesn't bolt and grows as a vine.
There are two types I know of one is green the other reddish. Very
tasty !

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...rch&search=Mal
abar

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/269vp2

from above url

"Green Malabar Spinach
(Basella rubra)

Heat loving, frost sensitive.
Vigorous climbing vines grow through summer into fall. Glossy, thick,
savoyed leaves resemble spinach. Mild Swiss chard taste. Use leaves and
young stems sparingly in salads or stir-fries. Direct seed 1-2" apart,
1/4" deep, or start indoors and transplant outside after danger of
frost. Thin to 6" between plants, rows 12" apart. Provide trellis. Avg.
16,300 seeds/lb. Mini: 100 seeds.

Days to Maturity or Bloom: 85"

My flower gardening effort is more devoted to shade with a few
exceptions. Think hosta, Japanese maples, ferns, Day lilies etc.
We used to food garden at my dads as he had more light but he is
selling. So our food garden will be smaller and have less light here.
Looks like micro gardening with the sun an issue.
We have Chinese chives and other herbs scattered about the flower
gardens and basil is planted yearly.

I'd guess the flower garden is 85% perennial and surrounds our home.

Bill 28 F going to ~40 F

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather