Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Chopping down Conifers

J15ess wrote:
Hello,

My first post here!

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?

We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden. I hate them
with a passion anyway, but these are making a decent garden feel very,
very narrow.

Thanks,
Jess

Since your intent is to destroy them it really doesn't matter _when_ you
whack them down - not as if you are doing delicate pruning and want to
avoid harming them. Find yourself some suitable tool and wield it
safely. Personally, I would use my chainsaw for such a job but almost
anything can be made to work. Then, before your strength ebbs, take a
pick-axe and shovel to the root balls and dig them out and refill the
holes with good soil. That way you will be ready to plant something more
to your liking when the time comes.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]